Vortez Forums - PC Hardware News and Reviews  

Go Back   Vortez Forums - PC Hardware News and Reviews > Vortez > News

Share This Forum!  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Clash of the Titans: AMD rumoured to be working on 'Titan killer'
Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Craig Farren

Default Clash of the Titans: AMD rumoured to be working on 'Titan killer'

Nvidia's new GTX Titan is the world's fastest single-GPU graphics card and truly one of a kind. However, this could be about to change......

Clash of the Titans: AMD rumoured to be working on 'Titan killer'

Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
VTZ Fan

najiro is an unknown quantity at this point

will have to see that. However, I gotta hand it out to nvidia for the titan! Hottest and most popular gpu right now! It gave the ares II a short reign IMHO.

Last edited by najiro; 02-25-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
The boss

Mishima is on a distinguished road

I'm quite surprised by this since this report: AMD Clarify Graphics Agenda For 2013 revealed nothing from the red team.

Milamber: "Do you know the effect that would have on mankind if we just packed
up and decided to let these people roam the place? With the mentality of your comments,
it would indicate you would be happy for Hitler to still be roaming the bingo halls of Las
Vegas with the Nazi flag flapping around like a wet fish."

Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
VTZ Fan

scrivz69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fingers crossed they can come back with something on par with titan with a decent price tag to go with it, it will take some doing but you never know.

Asrock P67 Extreme 6. 3570k.8GB Geil black dragons.Coolermaster 412s. EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked.Samsung 840 250GB SSD. OCZ Vertex plus 120GB.WD 500 GB Blue. Samsung F3 500GB. XFX 650w XXX Psu. Creative gigaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Fractal R2 XL case. Samsung SM-2433BW 24" Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse. Laptop an X80R which rocks.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
VTZ Fan

Well, this came out somewhere

Fishy but I think both camp are having a mutual agreement about developing new gpus which I personally like and in favor with. GPU's development are one of the fastest (along with SSDs) wherein the new ones simply knockout the predecessors making them somewhat obsolete or valueless. Example: GTX 580 and GTX 660ti. Most reviews I read concludes that GTX 660ti kills the GTX 580 in all accounts, performance, heat, wattage etc.. GTX 580 "was" more expensive. Who would buy that now? What would GTX 580 owners feel? GTX 580 was like the king of the hill before 6xx.. Only reigned for a year or so LOL. I had a GTX 560TI, felt good about it for 4 months until the new line of 6xx gpus came LOL. Not to mention nvidia seemingly stopped developing drivers for 5xx gpus.

Anyway, sorry for the long read LOL
I just think both camps taking a break is just right for them and for users. I believe research and development (no matter what organization or business) is a costly investment which doesn't always guarantee positive outcome (like the amd bulldozers? LOL).

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
VTZ Fan

Lol I know what you mean, my 580 is still fine for everything I play on it, it may be a little old now but still a great card.

Asrock P67 Extreme 6. 3570k.8GB Geil black dragons.Coolermaster 412s. EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked.Samsung 840 250GB SSD. OCZ Vertex plus 120GB.WD 500 GB Blue. Samsung F3 500GB. XFX 650w XXX Psu. Creative gigaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Fractal R2 XL case. Samsung SM-2433BW 24" Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse. Laptop an X80R which rocks.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
VTZ Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivz69 View Post
Lol I know what you mean, my 580 is still fine for everything I play on it, it may be a little old now but still a great card.
Yep sure it will play anything just fine be it Crysis 3 and others. But the level of satisfaction the card provide declines it gets somewhat defeated by a "cheaper" successor LOL. My friend owns an evga GTX 580 and wants to upgrade. He's having trouble selling it at a "reasonable" price based on its original value since the newer cards will obviously be a wiser choice. Now he's trying to sell it around 40% the original price being that it's still a year old. I was lucky to sell my GTX 560ti at a more reasonable price to somebody who's probably not reading tech news from tech sites that much LOL.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
VTZ Fan

It's pretty much the same with all hardware mate, nothing seems to hold it's price for to long nowadays lol.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
VTZ News Editor

kreegor is an unknown quantity at this point

Most games don't tax a GPU to it's fullest anyway because generally they are all console ports anyway. Crysis 3 is an exception.

I find I can keep my hardware costs down and prolong the life of my hardware by not having a massive monitor with a huge resolution.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
VTZ Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreegor View Post
Most games don't tax a GPU to it's fullest anyway because generally they are all console ports anyway. Crysis 3 is an exception.

I find I can keep my hardware costs down and prolong the life of my hardware by not having a massive monitor with a huge resolution.
Same here... however nvidia and amd marketing pushes multi-monitor setups to be the "mainstream" (or let's say they want it to be for obvious reasons). I don't buy it LOL. I don't like having a obstacle in the view. Well, there's actually a 29-inch ULTRA widescreen monitor that looks like a dual monitor setup nowadays but it's still rare in the market.

anyway back to the topic, I think GTX TITAN is an awesome gpu. A luxury to most since it's just too expensive. Competition from AMD should pull the price down a bit so I hope AMD comes up with a good answer.

Last edited by najiro; 02-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.